International Migration Review Forum 2022: The first International Migration Review Forum (IMRF) which took place at the United Nations Headquarters in New York concluded on 20th May 2022. In a four-day span, all UN member states took part in four interactive multi-stakeholder round tables, a policy dialogue, and a plenary session. An informal interactive multi-stakeholder hearing culminated on the day immediately preceding the Forum. It was hosted by Abdulla Shahid, the President of the UN General Assembly.
The agenda conferred was successes and challenges to the implementation of the Global Compact for Migration (GCM) since its adoption in 2018. GCM is an intergovernmental agreement that aims for safe, orderly, and regular migration.
International Migration Review Forum May 2022 – Overview
|Venue||UN Headquarters, New York|
|Presided by||Abdulla Shahid|
|Duration||4 days (17-20 May )|
|Participants||UN Member States|
Read about UPLDB Maitri Recruitment 2022 here.
Global Compact on Migration – Overview
History of GCM
- On September 19th, 2016, Governments all over the world came together for the first time at the global level within the UN General Assembly to discuss issues related to migration and refugees.
- 193 UN member states recognized the need for a comprehensive strategy for human mobility and enhanced cooperation at the global level.
- Thus, the Global Compact for Migration came into force and existence.
Significance of GCM
- The Global Compact for Safe, Orderly, and Regular Migration, or simply Global Compact for Migration is the first, intergovernmental negotiated agreement, prepared under the auspices of the United Nations.
- This Global Compact refers to migrants and presents a collaborative framework addressing migration in all its dimensions.
- It covers all dimensions of international migration holistically and exhaustively. It also ensures that migrants retain their humanitarian rights in any corner of the world at all times.
- With this comprehensive approach, Member States aim to foster safe, orderly, and regular migration.
Why was the IMRF formed?
In a General Assembly resolution, member states agreed to review the local, national, and global progress in implementing the Global Compact for Migration. This was done to assess the framework of the United Nations through a State-led approach and with the participation of all relevant stakeholders. The Member States further decided that:
- The High-level Dialogue on International Migration and Development, ought to be repurposed and renamed “International Migration Review Forum”;
- The IMRF shall serve as the primary intergovernmental global platform for the Member States to discuss and share progress on the enactment of all aspects of the Global Compact for Migration.
Check some other articles below!
|PSSSB Forest Guard Syllabus||UP Lekhpal Exam Date||CUET Latest News and Updates|
|RRB NTPC Exam Centers||TNPSC Combined Engineering Services Exam||PSSSB Clerk Syllabus|
Role of International Migration Review 2022
The quadrennial IMRF is held at the highest possible political level. It includes Heads of State or Government. It is open to the participation of every UN Member State and all members of specialized agencies that have observer status with the General Assembly.
It aims at building cooperation and partnerships at the national, regional, and global levels and creating awareness about the reality of migration. Bringing in more allies for the cause is an auxiliary motive of the Forum.
Migration should never be an act of desperation. When it is, we must unite to respond to the needs of migrants in situations of vulnerability, and address their respective challenges. The Global Compact for Migration tries to address that and hence is the cornerstone of migrant resettlement. The IMRF thus serves as the primary intergovernmental global platform to discuss and share progress on the implementation of all aspects of the Global Compact for Migration.
FAQs on International Migration Review Forum 2022
A. The International Migration Review Forum is a quadrennial high-level UN meeting to review the local, national, regional, and global progress in implementing the Global Compact for Migration.
A. The IMRF May 2022 took place at the UN Headquarters, New York.
A. The IMRF 2022 ran from 17-20 May 2022.
A. The Global Compact for Migration is the first, intergovernmental negotiated agreement, prepared under the auspices of the United Nations to safeguard migrant interests.
A. The events held at the IMRF 2022 were multi-stakeholder round tables, a policy dialogue, and a plenary session.