Current Affairs 18 May 2022: Get your daily current affairs news here. No matter which competitive exam you take, current affairs and general awareness play a significant role in preparing. Every day a nationally or internationally important event takes place. Be it in sports or politics, every news is worth reading. In this article, we will talk in detail about the top 5 current affairs news for 18th May 2022.
Did you miss the previous news articles? Read the Current Affairs of 17th May 2022 here.
Current Affair News 18 May 2022
In the further article, you will find the top trending news for 18th May. We have summarized these in bullet points to help you memorize them.
Hassan Sheikh Mohamud: the New President of Somalia
- After waiting for a long time, Somalia, a country in the Horn of Africa, elected its new president- Hassan Sheikh Mohamud
- Hassan Sheikh Mohamud won against Mohamed Abdullahi Mohamed (or, Farmajo)
- The elections took place in the capital of the Federal Republic of Somalia- Mogadishu
- Mohamud received 214 votes in comparison to Farmajo’s 110 votes
- Hassan Sheikh Mohamud is the representative leader of the Union for Peace and Development Party. He served as the President of Somalia from 2012 to 2017
Sunil Arora: the New Non-Executive Chairman of Gram Unnati Board
- Gram Unnati, a board that works for the welfare of farmers, announced Sunil Arora as its new non-executive chairman
- Sunil Arora has been the 23rd chief election commissioner as well as the president of the Association of World Election Bodies (A-WEB)
- Formerly, he served as a secretary in two ministries of the Indian Government- the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting and the Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship
- Born on April 13, 1956, Sunil Arora is a retired IAS officer in the Rajasthan cadre
Larsen and Toubro Appoints SN Subrahmanyan as its New MD and CEO
- Larsen and Toubro Ltd (L&T) is a multinational infrastructure developer for India. It has its headquarters in Mumbai. It is one of the top five construction firms in the world
- Recently, it appointed SN Subrahmanyan, who is the deputy managing director and president of L&T, as its new MD and CEO
- The former CEO of Larsen and Toubro was A.M Naik
- SN Subrahmanyan has the responsibility of improving the state of L&T as the company has a low return on equity and is going through a tough time
World’s Longest Suspension Bridge- Sky Bridge 721, Czech Republic
- The Sky Bridge 721, the world’s longest suspension bridge is finally open to travelers after about 2 years of construction
- Traveling on the bridge will be one way only, at the end of which will be the pathway in woodland
- The bridge is 1.2 meters wide and people of all ages are allowed to visit
- The estimated cost of the Sky Bridge 721 is $ 8.4 million
|Learn about the e-Census of India||Get the list of new Cabinet Ministers of India||Check KMAT Kerala Exam Dates here.|
|Read about BSSC CGL Notification here.||Check details of the HPPSC Naib Tehsildar Exam||Know AP Grama Sachivalayam Books for Preparation|
Threat to Food Security- Indian Government Prohibits Wheat Export
- India’s Directorate of Foreign Trade said that there is a high increase in global wheat prices which has the food security of India under threat
- The price of wheat has reached Rs. 25,000, higher than the Government’s minimum support price of Rs. 20,150
- In April, India’s annual retail inflation rate increased to 7.79%. Due to the heatwave, there is a degradation in the wheat harvest in India. Another additional reason is the conflict in Ukraine
- Before the Russian invasion, Ukraine used to export 4.5 million tonnes of agricultural products which accounted for 13% of the world’s wheat
This is all for the Current Affair News 18 May 2022. Keep reading our daily current affairs news to improve your general awareness.