National List Of Essential Medicines 2022 India PDF: The Union Minister for Health and Family Welfare, Dr. Mansukh Manvadiya on 13 September 2022 launched the National List of Essential Medicines. This step is very crucial towards the vision, Sabko Dawai, Sasti Dawai, of Honorable Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi. So the National List of Essential Medicines (NLEM) plays an important role in ensuring the accessibility of affordable quality medicines at all levels of healthcare.
- The new list comprises 384 drugs across 27 therapeutic categories.
- In this 2022 list, 34 drugs have been added and 26 drugs have been removed from the previous list.
- The complete National List of Essential Medicines 2022 India PDF is provided in this article.
With the new list of essential medicines out, several essential medicines are set to get cheaper in India. They will become more affordable and reduce patients’ out-of-pocket expenditures. These include drugs for diseases like Diabetes, TB and etc.
Criteria for Inclusion of Medicines in NELM
The criteria of a medicine to be included in the list of NLEM are as follows.
- The medicine should be approved/licensed in India.
- The medicine should be useful in diseases which is a public health problem in India.
- The medicine should have a proven efficacy and safety profile based on valid scientific evidence.
- The medicine should be cost-effective.
- The medicine should be aligned with the current treatment guidelines for the disease.
- The medicine should be stable under storage conditions in India.
- When more than one medicine is available from the same therapeutic class, preferably one prototype/ medically best-suited medicine of that class to be included after due deliberation and careful evaluation of their relative safety, efficacy, and cost-effectiveness.
- The price of the total treatment is to be considered and not the unit price of a medicine.
- Fixed Dose Combinations (FDCs) are generally not included unless the combination has an unequivocally proven advantage over individual ingredients administered separately.
- The listing of medicine in NLEM is based according to the level of health care, i.e. Primary, Secondary and Tertiary because the treatment facilities, training, experience, and availability of health care personnel differ at these levels.
List of Medicines Added to NLEM 2022
Let’s check out the list of medicines that are added to the updated lists of the National List of Essential Medicines (NLEM).
- Bendamustine Hydrochloride
- Buprenorphine (A) + Naloxone (B)
- Darunavir (A) + Ritonavir (B)
- Insulin Glargine
- Irinotecan HCI Trihydrate
- Leuprolide Acetate
- Nicotine Replacement Therapy (NRT)
- Ormeloxifene (Centchroman)
- Phenoxymethyl Penicillin
- Procaine Benzyl Penicillin
- Rotavirus Vaccine
- Tenofovir (A) + Lamivudine (B) + Dolutegravir (C)
- Tenofovir Alafenamide Fumarate (TAF)
Criteria for Deletion of Medicines in NELM
Here is the list of criteria that is needed to be followed to delete a medicine from the list of NLEM.
- The medicine has been banned in India.
- There are reports of concern about the safety profile of the medicine.
- A medicine with better efficacy or better safety profile and better cost-effectiveness is now available.
- The disease burden for which a medicine is indicated is no longer a national health concern in India.
- In the case of antimicrobials, if the resistance pattern has rendered a medicine ineffective in the Indian context.
List of Medicines Removed from NLEM 2022
Have a look at the list of medicines that are removed from the National List of Essential Medicines.
- Bleaching Powder
- Diloxanide Furoate
- Ethinylestradiol (A) + Norethisterone (B)
- Lamivudine (A) + Nevirapine (B) + Stavudine (C)
- Pegylated Interferon Alfa 2a, Pegylated Interferon Alfa 2b
- Stavudine (A) + Lamivudine (B)
- White Petrolatum
FAQs on National List Of Essential Medicines 2022 India
The National List of Essential Medicines (NLEM) is the list of medicines that satisfy the priority of healthcare needs, based on safety, efficacy, quality, and total cost of the treatment.
The Union Minister for Health and Family Welfare, Dr. Mansukh Manvadiya on 13 September 2022 launched the National List of Essential Medicines.
26 drugs are removed from the NLEM 2022.
34 drugs are added to the NLEM 2022.
The link to download the National List Of Essential Medicines 2022 India PDF is given in the article.