Is SSC CGL Tough To Crack? Let’s Discuss!
Is SSC CGL Tough? Let’s find the answer in this article. The Staff Selection Commission(SSC) every year conducts Combined Graduate Level(CGL) examination to fill up the vacancies in various posts in the government sector. Lakhs of aspirants apply for the exam from all over India. The candidates are selected based on their collective performance in the written exam and interview. The exam for SSC CGL Recruitment is considered to be one of the toughest exams in the country. Not only the extensive syllabus but also the cut-throat competition for a very limited number of seats make this examination a very tough one to crack. In this article, we are going to focus on the following matters.
Attempt SSC CGL Mock Test Now!
- Analyze the difficulty level of the exam.
- Know why many fail to clear the exam.
- Bust some of the myths related to SSC CGL preparation.
Check out SBI Clerk Junior Associate Recruitment 2022.
SSC CGL Vacancy (Year-Wise)
Let us have a look at the number of vacancies released by SSC every year for the Combined Graduate Level examination.
|SSC CGL Exam 2020-21||2891||1046||510||1858||7035|
|SSC CGL Exam 2019-20||3674||1242||667||2198||8582|
|SSC CGL Exam 2018-18||5770||1723||845||2933||11271|
From the table given above, you can clearly see a declining pattern of vacancies over the last few years. So the less number of vacancies automatically makes the competition tough.
But is SSC CGL tough?
If you carefully analyze the trends of the last few years, you will find out that the actual competition in the SSC CGL examination is very low. The number of nonserious candidates is very high. The number of serious aspirants, who dedicatedly prepare for the exam, is very less. So if you are preparing for SSC CGL wholeheartedly, you should be able to crack the exam. Let us look at the previous years’ pattern to have a clear idea about the exam and have a reality check.
Get Reasoning Book List For SSC CGL here!
|Year||Total Application||Appeared Candidates||No. of Candidates Cleared Tier 1||Remarks|
|2018-19||25,97,000||8,37,000||1,50,396||The actual competition was only 6% of the number of candidates who applied|
|2019-20||21,59,512||9,78,103||1,25,279||The competition was 5.80% (almost 6%) as compared to the applied students|
|2020-21||21,897,91||8,26,457||1,14,135||The competition was 5.21% (almost 5%) as compared to the applied students|
So if you are preparing for SSC CGL wholeheartedly, you should be able to crack the exam.
SSC CGL Syllabus
The SSC CGL examination tests the candidates on a wide range of topics. The main four subjects are English Comprehension, Logical Reasoning, Quantitative Aptitude, and General Awareness. The sub-topics are listed down below.
|English||Logical Reasoning||Quantitative Aptitude||General Awareness|
Fill in the Blanks
Idioms and Phrases
One Word Substitution
Odd One Out
Statements and Conclusions
Order & ranking
Time and Work
Profit and Loss
Mixture and Allegation
Time, Speed, Distance
Simple and Compound Interest
But does that make the exam tough?
The syllabus is huge. But with proper strategy and dedicated study of 6-7 hours daily, it is very much possible to crack the exam in the first attempt.
- You need to understand the syllabus and exam pattern of SSC CGL.
- Prepare an achievable timetable and stick to it.
- Go through the previous years’ question papers and analyze them thoroughly.
- Conceptual understanding of each topic is very crucial.
- Be very focused and committed to your preparation.
- Take mock tests on a regular basis.
- Revise key concepts frequently.
- Keep a track of your progress.
Get English Book List For SSC CGL here!
Is It Tough to Crack SSC CGL Without Coaching?
The answer is “NO”. Many students prefer to rely on self-study for the preparation for SSC CGL, even when they have the option to opt for coaching. If you are self-motivated and self-disciplined then self-study is the best way to prepare. Prepare a study schedule and stick to it until you get your selection. At the end of the day, taking coaching does not guarantee you a selection. It’s up to you how you plan your day, how you strategize, and how you are going to make the most of your time.
Some Other Key Points on SSC CGL Preparation
- If you are focused, dedicated, and hardworking, you can clear this exam within a short period of time.
- When you prepare for SSC CGL, it also prepares you for SSC CHSL, SSC MTS, and other government examinations. So it gives you a cushion to fall on to something even if you fail to clear SSC CGL.
- Lastly, through the SSC CGL exam, the government recruits candidates for Group B posts in various government departments. So you should not expect this exam to be so easy.
- If you have prepared well and you are honest with your preparation you should be able to clear this exam.
- Nelson Mandela rightly said, “It always seems impossible until it’s done.” Make a study plan, choose a specific source for every subject and make the best use of your time. You will be through. All the best.
FAQs on SSC CGL Examination
The toughness of the exam depends on your skill and level of preparedness.
No such number of attempts is specified for SSC CGL.
You can clear SSC CGL with 100% dedication, proper strategy, and making good use of whatever available resources you have with you.
There are a total of 4 levels i.e. Tier 1, Tier 2, Tier 3, and Tier 4.
SSC CGL is conducted in both online and offline modes.