CUET English 2022: Check Eligibility, Exam Pattern, Syllabus, and more!
Are you looking for admission to a UG course in one of the top central universities of India? Well, the National Test Agency brings a wonderful opportunity for the same, as it is going to conduct the Common University Entrance Test (CUET) for the academic session 2022-23. This is a single examination that is expected to be conducted in the first and second week of July 2022. With top central universities participating and thousands of students applying, there is bound to be stiff competition. Therefore, the aspiring candidates must prepare well for the CUET Exam. Hence we bring to you all the information you need about one of the subjects being CUET English.
This article is a detailed guide comprising tips to prepare, exam pattern, syllabus, and eligibility criteria for the CUET English subject!
- CUET English 2022: General Overview
CUET English 2022: General Overview
Before we dive deep into this article, let us give you a glance at some important information, events, and dates pertaining to CUET Exam 2022 –
|Exam conducting authority||National Testing Agency|
|Exam Name||Common Universities Entrance Test (CUET)|
|Exam pattern||Section IA, Section IB; Section II, and Section III|
|Application start date||6th April 2022|
|Application end date||6th May 2022|
|Exam Date||The first and second week of July|
|Duration||To be notified (in slots)|
|Marking Scheme||5 mark for the correct answer1 mark for the wrong answer|
Find out if you have fulfilled the CUET Eligibility here!
CUET Exam Pattern 2022
Knowing the exam pattern will help you frame an effective study schedule and thereby boost your preparations. The CUET Exam pattern is listed below for your ready reference –
|Section||Subjects||Questions to be Attempted||Question Type||Duration|
|Section I A LanguagesSection I B Languages||There are 13 different languages. There are 20 languages apart from Section I A||40 Questions te attempted out of 50 questions in each language||Language to be tested through Reading Comprehension (based on different types of passages–Factual, Literary, and Narrative, [Literary Aptitude and Vocabulary]||45 minutes for each language|
|Section II – Domain||There are 27 Domains specific subjects being offered under this Section. A candidate may choose a maximum of Six (06) Domains as desired by the applicable University/University.||40 Questions to be attempted out of 50||· Input text can be used for MCQ Based Questions· MCQs based on NCERT Class XII syllabus only||45 Minutes for each Domain-Specific Subject.|
|Section III-General Test||For any such undergraduate program/programs being offered by Universities where a General Test is being used for admission.||60 Questions to be attempted out of 75||· Input text can be used for MCQ Based Questions· General Knowledge, Current Affairs, General Mental Ability, Numerical Ability, Quantitative Reasoning (Simple application of basic mathematical concepts arithmetic/algebra geometry/mensuration/s tat taught till Grade 8), Logical and AnalyticalReasoning||60 Minutes|
Get to know the steps to download the CUET Admit Card here, for no last-minute hassles!
CUET English: Eligibility Criteria
Every competitive examination has certain eligibility criteria that need to be fulfilled by the candidates in order to be able to appear for the examination. Hence, to get admission in the
In central Universities for the CUET English courses, candidates need to fulfill the basic eligibility criteria. We have listed the eligibility criteria as below for your ready reference.
- Candidates must have completed their 10+2 with at least 50% marks in aggregate.
- The candidates must have passed class 12th or equivalent from a recognized university.
Candidates can check the detailed CUET Syllabus here!
CUET English: Exam Syllabus
The syllabus provides an insight into topics needed to be covered for each subject/section. Hence understanding the syllabus is extremely important in order to get frame an effective study schedule. Hence we have provided the CUET English syllabus below-
|Section IA and Section IB||Questions from the Language Section will be from the following topics but are not limited to – Reading Comprehension: There will be three types of passages (maximum 300-350 words) based on i. Factual ii. Narrative iii. Literary Verbal AbilityRearranging the parts Choosing the correct word synonyms and Antonyms Vocabulary|
Download CUET English Syllabus for ready reference here!
Book to Prepare for CUET English 2022
If you want to get one step closer to acing the CUET exam 2022 you must then refer to the expert-recommended study material. The language section is used the test the proficiency of the candidates through passages, vocabulary, etc. Hence it is important that candidates refer to certain books that are expert-recommended and provide an all-round knowledge. Below is a compiled list of books for preparation below-
|English Grammar in Use||Raymond Murphy|
|Competitive English Grammar and Composition||Arihant Publication|
|High School English Grammar and Composition||Wren and Martin|
|English NCERT Textbook For Class 11 And 12||NCERT|
CUET English: Preparation Tips
If you are seeking guidance on how to prepare for CUET English, look no further! Our experts have compiled a bunch of tips just for you! These tips are basic and topic-specific, and will help you ace this subject and also boost your confidence –
Topic-Wise Preparation Tips
As mentioned above the English section contains topics like comprehension, vocabulary, antonyms, synonyms, etc. Hence in order to ace every topic, take note of the following tips-
- Reading the Comprehension daily – In the comprehension section, you will be tested on your understanding of a passage, its central theme, meanings of words used therein, etc. And you can get the hang of it only if you make it your daily habit to read one comprehension passage.
- Practice Grammar Section -The grammar section will require you to correct the grammatically incorrect sentences, fill blanks in sentences with appropriate words, etc.
- Some Important Topics to Focus on- Prepare well for topics like Verbal Ability, Rearranging the parts, Choosing the correct word, Synonyms, Antonyms, and Vocabulary.
Basic Preparation Tips
The following are some general preparation tips for your reference –
- Understand the exam pattern and syllabus: The exam pattern and syllabus will help you understand the topic-wise weightage that will help you frame a better study schedule and also you complete your syllabus on time.
- Create a Study Schedule: Create an effective study schedule that is month-wise, week-0wise, day-wise, and hour-wise schedule. Only set realistic targets and stick to the same.
- Revision is the key: Ensure that you do revisions of the concepts studied during the week. Also, last-minute revisions are important as they will help you brush up and boosts your confidence.
- Attempt Mock tests: Candidates must attempt mock tests, as it will help candidates identify their strengths and work upon their weaknesses, boost their confidence and they will also learn the art of time management.
Candidates can check for the CUET Cut-off here!
We hope this article could help you understand the nitty-gritty of CUET English. We wish you all the best for your exams!
CUET English FAQs 2022
The syllabus includes Comprehension, Vocabulary, Verbal Ability, Rearranging the parts, Choosing the correct word, Synonyms, and Antonyms.
You should know the syllabus, know the exam pattern, take mock tests, prepare study schedules, and do regular revisions and strategies.
You need to attempt only 40 out of the 50 questions in the language section of CUET.
You can use English Grammar in Use (Raymond Murphy), Competitive English Grammar and Composition (Arihant Publication), etc.
Is there a negative marking scheme for CUET 2022?
Yes, 1 mark will be deducted for every wrong answer.